Saturday, August 6, 2011

Testing one's patience; growing in faith

As I reflect back on the past few weeks (July 19th-August 6), it was an amazingly challenging but rewarding time. On August 1, I returned home from a two-week bible school camp at St. Rose Modern Secondary School in Grenada--my energy was drained, especially after a return trip that started at 6 a.m. on Monday and ended at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, aug. 2nd.  The bible school, however,  was a wonderful experience of seeing God at work in the children we served, the team members, and the events of the day.  Each day, following morning praise, a presentation on a chosen saint and on a value demonstrated by that saint,  the students reflected upon, discussed, and dramatized bible stories. In the afternoon, the students had the choice of participating in arts and crafts, karate, dancing, banner making,  Tai Chi Chih, and tye dying of tee shirts. All students throughout the two-week period participated in skill building, learning to deal with anger and other feelings in ways that build self- esteem.  To witness the children's joy and to be a part of this joy is one of the rewards of religious life and part of what religious life is all about: service to those in need, sharing faith and growing in that faith.

The week back in the office included catching up on many things: answering mail from those inquiring about religious life, completing an overdue quarterly report on my ministry and filling out a budget for the year 2012 that included researching some budget items that seemed quite high. All turned out well, as I reminded myself that God is in charge of my life and that what really counts is that I serve the Lord and seek Him above all.

My patience was tried in many ways, as I returned home to a very dead battery on the car I use (someone used it in my absence and left the lights on)--it needed to be jumped twice. The last time I was gone, this same car was hit in the parking lot--I still need to get that issue resolved! Obviously, I didn't pass the first test on my patience. God had a second test ready for me when I took the car in for an oil change. I waited two hours for proper authorization from the company overseering maintenance of community cars, so this oil change, scheduled for 12:30 lasted until 4:45! That every one of our actions effects others was a reminder I was given when another sister reminded me that some of the things that were happening were beyond my control and that I need to maintain my cool. Obviously I had not done that very well.

As I took all of this to prayer this morning (Aug. 6th), I felt a great peace in the Lord and certainly needed to humble myself before Him, asking for forgiveness for my impatience and reminding myself again that I am to serve the Lord and seek Him above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment